Robert McCormick Partner
2911 Turtle Creek Blvd., Suite 1100
Dallas, Texas 75219
- Corporate / M&A
- Real Estate & Finance
Robert’s practice focuses on complex mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations; real estate acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and financing; general business counseling and strategic planning; and secured, mortgage and specialty lending. Robert represents a broad range of clients from start-up companies and entrepreneurs to private equity funds to publicly traded corporations. He advises on a wide variety of matters including acquisition, disposition and financing of privately held and publicly traded businesses, hotel and recreational properties, office buildings, restaurants, shopping centers, grocery stores and other commercial and retail developments.
Prior to joining Miller, Egan, Molter & Nelson LLP, Robert was a partner in the Corporate sections of Hunton & Williams LLP and Jenkens & Gilchrist, P.C., both national, full-service commercial law firms. Prior to that, he was associated with Bracewell & Patterson, L.L.P. (now Bracewell & Guiliani LLP).
- Regularly represents clients in stock and asset acquisitions and dispositions and with corporate reorganizations such as mergers, spin-offs, recapitalizations, restructurings and other combinations.
- Represented EnLink Midstream Partners, LP in negotiation of 157,500 sq. ft. commercial office lease for its new headquarters in One Arts Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
- Represented owner of commercial office building in Arlington, Texas in workout of defaulted loan and short sale to third party purchaser in lieu of foreclosure.
- Represented sellers in stock sale of heavy manufacturing business for $75 million.
- Represented founders in reorganization and sale of 70% interest in oilfield equipment business and negotiations with private equity investor.
- Represented local event production company in connection with organizing and producing 2014 NCAA Men’s Final Four Basketball Championship held in Dallas, Texas
- Represented tenant in expansion, extension, and amendment of 37,700 sq. ft. commercial office lease for its headquarters in Dallas, Texas.
- Represented commercial bank as lender with respect to various term and revolving credit facilities secured by quick service restaurant (QSR) properties.
- Represented private equity purchaser in asset acquisition of various packaged food businesses.
- Represented national newspaper/media company in acquisitions of various online and print news and information businesses.
- Represented mortgage finance company in review of loan documents and issuance of New York enforceability, true sale, and substantive non-consolidation opinions.
- Represented founders in organization of newly-formed auto finance company and negotiations with private equity investor / joint venture partner.
- Represented auto finance company in acquisition of portfolio of auto loan receivables.
- Represented the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee, a Texas non-profit corporation, handling a variety of issues related to Super Bowl XLV played in Dallas, Texas in February 2011, including hospitality, sponsorship, and publicity programs; strategic partnerships with key service providers; pre-game concert series and other public events; and volunteer, diversity and community outreach initiatives.
- Represented national hotel company in sale of subsidiary REITs.
- Represented closely-held chemical company in sale of assets and liquidation of company in settlement of shareholder derivative litigation.
- Represented national hotel company in corporate and tax restructuring, including creation of 18 separate subsidiary REITs.
- Represented private investment fund in acquisition of all outstanding shares of Lodgian, Inc., an AMEX-traded hotel company, in $270 million going-private transaction.
- Represented Home Interiors & Gifts in connection with restructuring, bankruptcy, and eventual liquidation.
- Represented private investment fund in reorganization and separation of two regional grocery store chains.
- Representing private investment fund in sale of all operational assets (other than real estate) of privately-held restaurant company through asset sale for $20 million.
- Representing private investment fund in acquisition of all outstanding shares of Lone Star Steakhouse & Saloons, Inc., a Nasdaq-traded restaurant company, for $615 million through merger and going-private transaction.
- Represented seller in sale of majority interests in LCD manufacturer to private investment fund for $38 million.
- Represented private investment fund in acquisition of all outstanding membership interests of BI-LO Holdings, LLC, a grocery store company, for $660 million through stock purchase.
- Represented private investment fund in sale of all outstanding shares of privately-held restaurant company through merger transaction for $142 million.
- Represented private investment fund in reorganization and separation of two regional restaurant chains valued at $175 million.
- Represented related sellers in sales of seven commercial office buildings for $113 million.
- Represented publicly traded hospitality company in vertical subdivision of two hotel properties and sale of attached parking garages to third party operators for $13 million.
- Represented private investment fund in acquisition of all outstanding shares of Shoneys, Inc., a NYSE-traded restaurant company, for $225 million through merger and going-private transaction.
- Represented publicly traded hotel REITs and private investment funds in purchases and sales of over 60 branded hotels in numerous states from 1995 to present, including all associated joint venture agreements and bank financing.
- Represented various borrowers in connection with senior credit facilities (including term, ABL, and revolving loans) and collateralized mortgage loans (including CMBS loans) totaling over $1.7 billion from 1997 to present, including various post-securitization amendments, collateral substitutions, and defeasances.
- Represented borrower in connection with $130 million senior credit facility with Barclays.
- Represented borrower in connection with $360 million senior credit facility with Merrill Lynch.
- Represented borrower in connection with $45 million senior credit facility with Merrill Lynch.
- Represented borrower in connection with $410 million senior credit facility with Bear Stearns.
- JD, University of Texas, with honors, 1991
- BBA, University of Texas at Austin, 1988
- Double Major: Honors Business Program / Accounting
- Passed CPA Exam, but not licensed
Affiliations and Admissions
- Pat and Emmitt Smith Charities: Legal Counsel
- North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee: Legal Counsel
- Park Advisory Committee for the City of University Park: Committee Member
- Leadership University Park: Graduate and volunteer leader for current class
- Dallas Texas Exes, Inc.: Former Board Member
- ACE Mentor Program of DFW, Inc.: Former Board Member
- State Bar of Texas
- Received “AV (Preeminent)” rating by Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings
2911 Turtle Creek Blvd., Suite 1100
Dallas, Texas 75219